Chia Seeds: Post-workout snack
Chia Seeds: The perfect addition to your post-workout snack
The food that you choose to fuel your body with after a workout can make or break your recovery. In order to help your muscles repair and to replenish your glycogen stores, it is recommended to consume a combination of carbohydrates and protein within 45 minutes of a workout.
A balanced meal can generally do the trick, but if your workout falls before or after a normal meal, you need a healthy snack to provide those key macronutrients. Protein-shakes are an easy option, but they don’t always keep you satisfied. Chia seeds, which provide roughly 11g of fiber in a 1-ounce serving, expand and form a slow-digesting gel that will fill you up until your next meal.
The magnesium and healthy fats found in chia seeds will help relax your muscles and decrease inflammation.
Add to that the nine essential amino acids found in chia seeds that give your muscles the building blocks they need to grow and you have a stellar recovery plan.
- 8-10 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 Tbsp (1-ounce) whole chia seeds
- ½ banana
- large handful of frozen strawberries
- approx. 5 large ice cubes
Directions: In a blender, combine all ingredients until smooth. Adjust liquid and ice cubes to desired consistency.
If you don’t have time to blend a protein shake, bring an individual Greek yogurt (plain or flavored with zero sugar) in an insulated lunchbox to the gym. In a separate container pack ½ cup fruit and put 2 tbsp chia seeds in a ziplock back. Mix all ingredients together and let sit for a few minutes so the chia seeds can expand. (You might want to bring a larger container to mix in). Protein and calcium-packed snack!
There you have it, two easy ways to optimize your nutrient intake post-workout and speed up recovery. The benefits of chia are endless.
- Health Benefits of Tuna - May 4, 2017
- Top Anti-Inflammatory Foods - April 24, 2017
- Oats: Have You Tried Them Lately? - April 17, 2017
- Healthier Energy Gel: Do It Yourself - April 10, 2017
- Health Benefits of Eggs: What Are They? - April 4, 2017
- Protein Bars Reviewed: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 29, 2017
- Tips for Healthy Protein Snacks - March 24, 2017
- Eating for Your Blood Type - March 20, 2017
- Chia Seeds: Post-workout snack - March 15, 2017
- Benefits of Oatmeal: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 9, 2017