Rethink Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is an excellent snack if you’re looking to increase protein, calcium and vitamin D. It is often eaten alone, or with fruit, but sometimes that gets old. Here are some ways to still get the health benefits from Greek yogurt without feeling like you’re stuck in a food rut.
- Protein Pancakes. Skip the oil and add some protein to your breakfast! This recipe for oatmeal pancakes uses Greek yogurt to create light, fluffy, yet filling pancakes that are nutritious enough to become a breakfast staple. Plus, you mix all the ingredients in the blender, making it a great option when you’re in a rush.
- Healthy Ranch Dip. Skip the store-bought varieties or even the homemade that use sour cream. Instead, mix a Ranch seasoning packet into plain Greek yogurt. You certainly shouldn’t eat an entire cup of Ranch dip, but if you use Greek yogurt, a 1 cup serving will provide approx. 15g of protein. It’s hard to eat a cup of ranch alone, so this will also be an excellent way to boost your veggie intake!
- Sour Cream Alternative. Plain Greek Yogurt can replace sour cream in any recipe from sour-cream pound cake to a topping on baked potatoes. I used Greek yogurt in this enchilada recipe for my husband and he never knew the difference.
- Healthy mayo swap. Do you love chicken salad but hate that mayo adds unnecessary calories and fat making it a “not-so-healthy salad?” Greek yogurt is your saving grace. Swap the mayo for Greek yogurt in your own chicken salad recipe, or use this one for inspiration.
- Frosting! I don’t know who doesn’t love cream cheese frosting. Unfortunately, it isn’t exactly “good for you.” An occasional sweet treat is perfectly fine, if you’re otherwise eating a balanced diet. This recipe helps cut the fat from cream cheese with some Greek yogurt! You’ll never know the difference.
The ways to use Greek yogurt are endless. Use it instead of heavy whipping cream, buttermilk, oil, etc. Try the examples provided or get creative with your own signature dishes.
- Health Benefits of Tuna - May 4, 2017
- Top Anti-Inflammatory Foods - April 24, 2017
- Oats: Have You Tried Them Lately? - April 17, 2017
- Healthier Energy Gel: Do It Yourself - April 10, 2017
- Health Benefits of Eggs: What Are They? - April 4, 2017
- Protein Bars Reviewed: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 29, 2017
- Tips for Healthy Protein Snacks - March 24, 2017
- Eating for Your Blood Type - March 20, 2017
- Chia Seeds: Post-workout snack - March 15, 2017
- Benefits of Oatmeal: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 9, 2017