I CAN! — Just Do It! #WithDavida
Just Do It!
It’s like nails on a chalkboard for me to hear anyone say “I Can’t”. Don’t say it. Don’t think it. Take it out of your vocabulary.
Why would you limit yourself by using the word “can’t”?
Of course I hear it quite a bit as an exercise instructor. Most often when someone is asked to do push-ups or some fitness challenge. Or when someone is invited to a music based exercise class. They’ll say, “I’ve never been able to do a push-up”. Or “I don’t have rhythm”.
What I hear is “it’s just too much effort for me to use these muscles. I’d never need to push myself off the floor if I fell anyway”. Or “I don’t want to try your totally awesome class because I’m scared you won’t think I belong on Broadway.”
Other people just avoid exercise all together saying they can’t do it because everything else in the world is more important than taking time for their own their health and well being.
They have kids to chauffeur, spouses to maintain, jobs they must fret over. Or they’re just too tired. Yet they’re not happy with the extra 10, 20, or 50 pounds they’ve acquired. That’s equivalent to the weight of a child. If you’re carrying around an extra person on your hips all day of course you’re tired.
The word “can’t” has kept way too many people from reaching their desired goals or simply doing better. You CAN lose weight, improve your health and fitness or feel better with three words,
Positive Mental Attitude.
This idea was introduced in the 1930’s with Napoleon Hill’s book “Think and Grow Rich”. Contrary to its title the book was not a just a recipe for making money but rather how to be successful in anything.
The book proclaims that anyone with desire, faith and persistence can be successful by eliminating negative energy and thoughts and focusing on the greater goals at hand. When you have a health & fitness goal in mind it is very important to believe in yourself, do what is necessary and never give up.
Nike got it right with the best slogan ever, “Just Do it”. Yes, just shut up and do it. Channel one of their strong, determined and athletic looking models to do what you need to do.
If you think you can, then you can.
If you think you can’t you probably won’t. It’s like programming your mind and body to fail or succeed.
Once upon a time I could not do push-ups. Oh, they seemed so hard. I too would complain in my head and half-heartedly do what seemed like a push-up with my back swayed and my butt in the air. Finally, one day I decided I was going to conquer this task. I did one, then I did two and now I do them with only one leg just to show off. I feel so proud and powerful. Which would you rather feel like? The wimpy person who whines after attempting one or the winner who can drop and do 10?
If you’ve taken a class with me you’ve heard me say over and over “the body will achieve what the mind believes”. It’s got a nice ring to it. You can make it a chant the next time you are confronted with a difficult physical task.
In the spirit of Positive Mental Attitude from “Think & Grow Rich” here are six tips to help say, “I can” and do it!
- Decide exactly what your goal is. Believe in yourself and visualize yourself doing it.
- Make a commitment and decide what you will sacrifice because you cannot get something for nothing.
- Establish a date when you intend to reach your goal.
- Make a plan and take the steps necessary. If it’s as simple as doing push-ups. Pick a time each day to practice. If it’s to get in shape or diet decide how you will do it and put it into your schedule.
- Write down and track your progress and look forward to the after glow. Revel in your accomplishment at the end of each workout or instance where you’ve followed through on your plan.
- Create a mantra that includes words like “I can do this” or “I will be successful” and say it over and over everyday and as you work toward your goal.
Don’t give into negativity or be defeated by one bad day. Forgive yourself for any mistakes and remember now begins the rest of your life and you CAN do whatever you put your mind to do.
Just do it!
- 6 Steps to Think and Grow Rich
- Think and Grow Rich: – Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century Aug 18, 2005 Deckle Edge by Napoleon Hill and Arthur R. Pell
- Yoga and Chronic Pain: Fit Over 50 - May 22, 2017
- Relieve Stress with Yoga: Davida, Fitness Pro - May 16, 2017
- Reducing Stress: Mindfulness - April 27, 2017
- Best Exercise for the Brain - April 20, 2017
- Tips on Weights and Exercises - April 19, 2017
- Calories Burned During Zumba: How Many Calories Are You Burning? - April 7, 2017
- Metabolism: How Is Yours? - March 30, 2017
- Tips to Help with Sore Muscles - March 27, 2017
- Butt Lift Workout Tips - March 16, 2017
- Fit Over 50: Davida, Fitness Pro - March 3, 2017