DIY Non-Dairy Milk
If you haven’t read my post on non-dairy milk alternatives, you didn’t see that 33% of the US population is lactose intolerant and 75% of adults lose their ability to digest lactose as they get older. For these reasons, and due to the prevalence of dairy allergies, non-dairy milk has taken the dairy aisle by storm! Though most non-dairy milk alternatives are made from non-GMO ingredients, they do contain added gums, stabilizers and thickeners.
For the majority, these additives won’t cause any adverse reactions. However, if you have a sensitive stomach, you might find that these cause intestinal distress. If you fall into that category, or if you simply like to experiment in the kitchen, non-dairy milk can easily be whipped up in the comfort of your own home!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of nut/seed of choice (combine different types, try something new like pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds..the options are endless)
- 4 cups filtered water
- High-powered blender
- Cheese cloth or very thin dish cloth
- Optional additions for sweetness/flavor variety: 3-6 pitted dates, 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup or agave, 1-2 tsp cinnamon, 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, vanilla bean or extract, nutmeg, cloves, etc.
What to do:
- Soak the nuts/seeds overnight (or up to 2 days) in pure water with ½ tsp sea salt. (Soaking nuts/seeds breaks down phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors which makes them easier to digest and increases the bioavailability of nutrients. )
- After soaking, rinse nuts/seeds and put them in a high-powered blender with 4 cups of filtered water. Do not fill to capacity, as ingredients expand when blended.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Strain mixture into a large bowl through cheese cloth or dish towel
- Put mixture back into blender with your sweeteners/spices.
- Pour into a pitcher or large mason jar and store in refrigerator for up to one week.
I’ve even heard of people making strawberry nut milk! Go crazy. Enjoy your allergy-free milk.
- Health Benefits of Tuna - May 4, 2017
- Top Anti-Inflammatory Foods - April 24, 2017
- Oats: Have You Tried Them Lately? - April 17, 2017
- Healthier Energy Gel: Do It Yourself - April 10, 2017
- Health Benefits of Eggs: What Are They? - April 4, 2017
- Protein Bars Reviewed: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 29, 2017
- Tips for Healthy Protein Snacks - March 24, 2017
- Eating for Your Blood Type - March 20, 2017
- Chia Seeds: Post-workout snack - March 15, 2017
- Benefits of Oatmeal: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 9, 2017