Sneaky Ways to add Vegetables
For some, eating vegetables falls into the same category as eating worms….not happening. We know that they have incredible health benefits, but the benefits don’t always trump the fact that they’re vegetables! Here are some ways to get the biggest vegetable-hater to consume them and actually enjoy them.
- Zucchini and carrots are quite versatile. Finely grate them into breads, muffins, and oatmeal cookies. If your picky-eater will spot the shreds, puree them instead!
- Food Network chef and host, Giada De Laurentiis sneaks carrots and celery into her homemade marinara sauce. Feel free to puree before adding to ensure they’re undetectable.
- Puree steamed beets and add them to brownies and/or chocolate cake! They add a sweet flavor, rich color, and moist texture. They can also replace half of the oil without compromising texture.
- Puree butternut squash and add it to macaroni and cheese. It will make your cheese sauce go much further while adding Vitamin A and fiber!
- Puree broccoli (or any veggie) and add it to meatballs and burgers. You won’t taste it—I promise. It will add volume and juiciness to your meat.
- Add a handful of greens to your chocolate protein smoothie. Add additional unsweetened cocoa powder to maintain the chocolaty appearance. ☺ The greens will be disguised when blended, but they’ll add fiber and keep you satisfied all morning.
- Puree cauliflower or celery root and add it to potato or any other cream-based soup. The white color will blend right in, providing additional fiber and vitamins. You won’t need to use as much cream/milk either!
If you haven’t noticed…pureeing vegetables is the recurring theme.
Texture is one of the top reasons why people dislike vegetables. Pureeing does away with any texture-phobia and, when added to other foods, the flavor disappears taking care of any flavor-aversions.
I’ve got you covered ☺ Give these vegetables a try!
- Health Benefits of Tuna - May 4, 2017
- Top Anti-Inflammatory Foods - April 24, 2017
- Oats: Have You Tried Them Lately? - April 17, 2017
- Healthier Energy Gel: Do It Yourself - April 10, 2017
- Health Benefits of Eggs: What Are They? - April 4, 2017
- Protein Bars Reviewed: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 29, 2017
- Tips for Healthy Protein Snacks - March 24, 2017
- Eating for Your Blood Type - March 20, 2017
- Chia Seeds: Post-workout snack - March 15, 2017
- Benefits of Oatmeal: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 9, 2017