Magnesium: Why It Matters to Your Health!
We’ve heard about it, would likely consume something claiming that it was a “good source” of magnesium, but do we truly know why it’s important?
Magnesium is a mineral which is essential for over 300 biochemical reactions in our bodies! These include protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood sugar control and blood pressure regulation just to name a few. Some medical professionals recommend it to ease constipation and athletes swear by it for relieving muscle cramps. Despite all of these benefits, magnesium deficiency is one of the top mineral deficiencies!
Here are some natural food sources to increase your intake of this “wonder mineral,” as some call it.
6 Tips for Adding Magnesium to your diet:
- Make trailmix using ¼ cup almonds and 1 tbsp chopped figs for 184mg.
- Add 1 cup of spinach to your morning smoothie for 157mg.
- Satisfy your afternoon sweet tooth with 1 square of dark chocolate to provide 92mg.
- Jazz up your soup with 1 cup sliced chard for 154mg.
- For 92mg, you can add crunch to your salad with 2 Tbsp of pumpkins seeds.
- Enjoy your tacos with ½ cup black beans (60mg) and ½ medium avocado (29mg) for a total of 89mg.
- Get your protein, calcium, vitamin D, potassium AND magnesium with 1 cup of plain yogurt (50mg) and ½ sliced banana (16mg) for a total of 66mg.
Some of the main causes of magnesium deficiencies include:
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Excessive sugar intake
- Getting less than three servings of vegetables per day (is this you? ☺ )
- Taking some prescription medications (antibiotics and diuretics)
- “Leaky gut” or GI problems which impair absorption of nutrients
It’s recommended that men get at least 400mg magnesium per day and women at least 310mg magnesium per day.
Use the provided snacks and up your magnesium intake!
- Tips for Healthy Protein Snacks - March 24, 2017
- Eating for Your Blood Type - March 20, 2017
- Chia Seeds: Post-workout snack - March 15, 2017
- Benefits of Oatmeal: Danielle, registered dietitian - March 9, 2017
- Health Benefits of Chia Seeds: Danielle, dietitian - March 6, 2017
- Non-Dairy Milk Alternative Recipes - March 2, 2017
- Non-Dairy Milk: Weighing in on the Options - February 22, 2017
- Non-Dairy Milk Alternatives: Danielle, Registered Dietitian - February 17, 2017
- Sprouted Grain: The New “IT” Food - February 15, 2017
- Greek Yogurt: Danielle, registered Dietitian - February 10, 2017