Just Move in the AM: Have Fun
Join the Morning Party “MOVE ment”
To Move…It’s a thing now. People are getting up and partying before work. But this party is alcohol free and people are jamming yoga moves and then shaking their booties to some dance music before going off to work or school. The one I attended in Denver is called Kleen City. There are others.
Concert promoter Kaz Quamruddin organized Kleen City first in Washington DC to bring together other people like him to move and who were tired of drinking and living an unhealthy late nightlife. He likes music, dancing and having fun with other people and now wants to offer it in a good way to get people to move.
At the last one a DJ started rocking the event with some rhythmic yoga music accompanied by a live guitar and drums. A spunky instructor led everyone through a series of yoga postures attainable for all levels. The resting end of yoga, called shavasana, was accented with meditation bowls and opera singing.
The energy then sky rocked with some thumping beats as soon as everyone rolled up their yoga mats. I was part of the dance party. People followed to the right and left with knee lifts and hip twist. All were smiling and started breaking a sweat. For those not interested in dancing there was a studio promoting their hula-hoop workout.
Move: Who knew waking up so early could be so fun?
Vendors lined the walls of the room offering juice drinks, coffee, massages, energy healing and other health related ideas. Anyone who needed to refresh their motivation for clean and active living could find something here.
The Centers for Disease Control says only 20-percent of Americans get the recommended 150-minutes a week of exercise. It and an alliance of disease prevention organizations like the American Heart Association and American Cancer Society have been trying to get people to move more. They’ve even avoided using the word “exercise” and encourage people to just be more active and move. Apparently moving is the biggest hurdle for Americans to be healthier.
Why is it a challenge to move?
- It’s become easy to be inactive.
- Our lifestyles are geared toward driving instead of walking.
- Taking the elevator instead of using the stairs.
- Most states in an effort to save money have minimized physical education in schools.
Even those who try to do the right thing can get bored at the gym or whatever regimen they’re trying to stay committed to. That’s why these morning rave parties, like Kleen City are such a good idea. It gives people a physical activity that is fun and communal! How could you not have a good day if you start it meditating, stretching and dancing? You might not be enthused about waking up extra early to catch one of these morning events but check it out and maybe something will reignite your desire to exercise…. Oops! I mean be active. Be sure to talk to your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
As I always say, there will be plenty of time for sleeping when you’re dead.
If you don’t take care of your body that will happen sooner than later! Join the Party “MOVE ment”!
Getting People to Move: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/getting-people-to-move-more/
- Yoga and Chronic Pain: Fit Over 50 - May 22, 2017
- Relieve Stress with Yoga: Davida, Fitness Pro - May 16, 2017
- Reducing Stress: Mindfulness - April 27, 2017
- Best Exercise for the Brain - April 20, 2017
- Tips on Weights and Exercises - April 19, 2017
- Calories Burned During Zumba: How Many Calories Are You Burning? - April 7, 2017
- Metabolism: How Is Yours? - March 30, 2017
- Tips to Help with Sore Muscles - March 27, 2017
- Butt Lift Workout Tips - March 16, 2017
- Fit Over 50: Davida, Fitness Pro - March 3, 2017