Water: Do you get enough?
More than just Water
We all know that water intake is important, but do you know how much is recommended and why?
Ideally, you should aim for ½ your body weight in oz of water per day. It serves many functions in the body: it assists the kidney in flushing toxins, helps regulate appetite, increases energy levels, promotes more youthful-looking skin, just to name a few. Not everyone considers water to be their beverage of choice. Coffee and other caffeinated beverages top the charts but caffeinated beverages and alcohol are diuretics, meaning that they drive water from the body rather than hydrating. These beverages do not count toward daily fluid intake.
Don’t fret, here are ways to liven up your beverages and increase intake.
- Go herbal! Unsweetened, herbal teas can be served hot or cold. They offer a flavorful way to hydrate. My favorites are peppermint, ginger, and peach.
- Dilute juices. If you can’t kick the juice habit but want to reduce sugar intake, try having a 4:1 ratio of water to juice.
- Eat water-filled fruits and veggies! Tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, and bell peppers are filled with water! 20% of your fluid intake can come from food IF you make good choices.
- Reach for the fizz. I love fruit-flavored sparkling water, not to be confused with the artificially sweetened varieties. These excite my taste buds and provide just the right amount of fruit-essence.
Infuse at home!
The BEST water that I’ve ever had was at a hotel in Phoenix. It wasn’t anything special…just a pitcher of ice water containing pineapple, strawberries and cucumber. The flavor combination was perfectly refreshing and incredibly easy to re-create at home! Use any fruit you’d like.
“Fruitify” your ice! Freeze berries into your ice cubes OR use stevia-sweetened flavor enhancers to create exciting ice cubes. Pop them into your water bottle for a fun flavor boost.
Rethink that boring water glass and try these new flavorful ways to keep you hydrated!
- Diet: Identifyng a Food Allergy Danielle S., Registered Dietitian - December 7, 2016
- The “Cure All”: Coconut (?) - December 1, 2016
- Reward Yourself the Right Way - November 25, 2016
- Pumpkin Spices for Your Health - November 21, 2016
- Does the Lack of Sleep Impact your Waistline? - November 16, 2016
- Breakfast: Quick Tips! - November 14, 2016
- Brain Foods: Danielle, registered dietitian - November 9, 2016
- Is a Healthier Halloween Possible? - October 31, 2016
- Alzheimer’s and Diet: Danielle, registered Dietitian - October 27, 2016
- Healthy Eating on a Budget - October 19, 2016