Is a Healthier Halloween Possible?
Have a Healthier Halloween!
Halloween is just around the corner and it can be quite difficult to resist nibbling on candy, especially if you’re handing it out! Did you realize that just one “fun-size” pieces of candy can set you back 80-calories. One is innocent; however, the “fun-size” makes us feel like we’re not doing too much damage if we continue to nibble.
Four pieces of Halloween candy equals a solid meal.
- To decrease chances of eating one too many fun size pieces,
- Make sure to have a balanced dinner before you set out the candy bowl.
- Include a lean protein, healthy fat source, colorful veggies and a small amount of complex carbs (ex: grilled steak with a small sweet potato, 1 tsp butter and grilled veggie medley).
Here are some healthy sweet treats to have around for you and your friends to enjoy.
Caramel Yogurt Dip: Mix ¾ cup plain yogurt, 2 tsp maple syrup, 1/8 tsp salt, ¼ tsp brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stir all ingredients (except yogurt) in a saucepan over medium heat until thickens and sugar is dissolved. Mix in yogurt. Serve with sliced apples.
Pumpkin Spice Dip: In a food processor or high-powered blender, mix 1 can chickpeas (drained), 1 can pumpkin puree, ¼ cup almond butter, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or more) , 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp maple syrup. Serve with sliced apples.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Bites: In a large bowl, combine : 1 cup (dry) oatmeal,2/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup ground flax seed, 1/3 cup honey nectar, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Allow mixture to harden in the refrigerator (approx 30 minutes). Remove and roll into approx 1 inch balls.
Set yourself up for success and be prepared with healthy options ☺ Happy Halloween!
Recipes adapted from:
- Tips for Non-Dairy Milk Options - February 22, 2017
- Non-Dairy Milk Alternatives: Danielle, Registered Dietitian - February 17, 2017
- Sprouted Grain: The New “IT” Food - February 15, 2017
- Greek Yogurt: Danielle, registered Dietitian - February 10, 2017
- Health Benefits of Oatmeal - February 8, 2017
- Spaghetti Squash: Danielle, Registered Dietitian - February 3, 2017
- Tips for Easy Meal Prep! - January 30, 2017
- Conquer the New Year with Breakfast - January 25, 2017
- New Year’s Healthy Food Resolutions - January 17, 2017
- Warming Food: Eat to Bring the Heat - January 12, 2017