Afternoon Slump! What to Do?
Beat the Afternoon Slump
We’ve all experienced the “afternoon slump.” It usually occurs between 2 and 4 pm and is characterized by a strong desire to crawl up in a ball and go to sleep. This sudden drop in energy is multi-faceted.
If you’ve been staring at a computer screen all day, your eyes are fatigued and need a break. It’s also been several hours since lunch (IF you even ate lunch) and your blood sugar levels are beginning to plummet.
In this situation, what do you do?
You can’t crawl under your desk and take a nap, as amazing as that might be. You have to find a way to power through. Most people, in effort to boost energy, reach for a quick fix. This usually comes in the form of
- or an energy drink.
Though those choices might provide an initial surge (due to the sugar and/or caffeine), they will not provide you with what you need to stay energized.
What if I told you that what your body really needed was a nutrient-dense snack? Yes, I’m telling you to eat. When blood sugar levels fall, energy plummets and your ability to concentrate goes out the window. Your thought process and performance slows, and if you don’t do something about it, the rest of your workday will be a wash—and you’ll over-eat when you get home because you didn’t stop to realize how hungry you really were.
What you need is a balance of complex carbs for energy and protein to keep you satisfied. Step away from your desk, and try one of these snacks:
- Handful of almonds with 1 tbsp dark chocolate
- Rice cake 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tsp raisins and cinnamon
- ½ cup cottage cheese with pineapple
- 6” tortilla with 3oz turkey and 1 tbsp hummus
- 1oz jerky and 1 cup berries
Your boss and waistline will thank you. ☺
- Healthy Eating on a Budget - October 19, 2016
- Tips for a Gluten Free Diet! - October 13, 2016
- Celiac and Autoimmunity - October 10, 2016
- Afternoon Slump! What to Do? - October 5, 2016
- Flax: What’s Not to Love! - September 28, 2016
- Sugar: Tips to Decrease Your Sugar Intake - September 22, 2016
- Longevity: What are the Keys to Longevity? - September 21, 2016
- Vitamin D: Do You Get Enough? - September 14, 2016
- Nutrition Tip: Eat Your Pulses? What Does that Mean? - September 8, 2016
- Cultural Foods Part 2: Goat - September 1, 2016