Exercising: Is there a Secret Key?
Key to Losing Weight and getting Strong through Exercising
Usually I sleep like a rock. That’s one of the benefits of exercising every day. But one night I found myself gazing at an infomercial. I didn’t change the channel lightening fast because it was for exercise, something I’m very interested in.
All of the testimony was very impressive. The people were first interviewed in their over stretched workout clothes before trying the exercise regimen. They stated they wanted to lose 10 or 20 modest pounds. Then they were interviewed a few months later gasping about losing twice as much as they had said earlier. They looked thinner, happier and had better hairdos. Something about losing weight seems to make people smile, put make-up on and better comb their hair, even while they’re exercising.
I studied the commercial; evaluating the exercises because I thought with such success maybe I should include some of this in my fitness coaching. As near as I could figure without spending $19.95 in four easy payments, there was no magic invention or new combination of exercises that worked a weight-loss voodoo.
Allow me to save you some money and tell you the secret about exercising.
If you want to lose weight or shape up you must exercise consistently. Not only when you feel the urge and then call it quits when a few beads of sweat appear on your forehead. You need to get moving almost everyday and break a real sweat. The kind that makes your clothes wet. If you do that over and over after a few weeks you should notice the difference.
The people in the infomercial did it. They seemed to have good motivation. I suspect a lot of it was one or a combination of money, enjoyment, or the promise of being on a late night infomercial and exercising with the tall handsome instructor who invented the franchise. I would go to class every day too if that guy was the instructor (and why male group instructors are so coveted at large health clubs).
Research tells us 50-percent of people starting a new exercise program quit by six months.
If you’re struggling to find a way to be consistent with exercising here are some questions to ask yourself.
What do I like to do? Or what kinds of activities do I feel most comfortable doing? If you’re knees hurt or you wear a large bra size it might not feel comfortable to jog. Perhaps biking/spinning would be a good way to get your heart rate up.
Do I have a place I feel comfortable exercising? Maybe you would enjoy going to a high-end gym with lots of amenities and friendly employees smiling and wishing you a great day. Or perhaps carving out a space in your basement where you can go and get in the zone alone would be better. Always pick a convenient place so distance doesn’t keep you from your workout.
Do you have a significant other or buddy to support your fitness habit? Recruit your family to encourage you to workout or join you rather than complain that you got home late. Encouragement and positive feedback on your accomplishments will help motivate you too.
Do you have low self-esteem or body image? This might cause you to avoid exercising because you fear you’re not doing it right or you’re worried about feeling judge. What can you do to avoid these negative feelings?
The program in these infomercials appears to answer these questions for a lot of people. They are easy, enjoyable and convenient regimens you can do anytime in your home alone or with your family or friend.
- Talk to your doctor about starting a new exercise program.
- If weight loss is your goal don’t forget to also consider your diet and portion sizes.
- Find something fun you feel comfortable doing most days so you’ll want to add to your schedule.
- Then do it.
- Keep a journal and track your progress.
- You can even get out your smart phone to make your own before, during and after video.
Maybe you can motivate someone else to shape up. I welcome you to share it by putting your YouTube link below. Remember consistency is key.
What motivates people: http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/what-motivates-people-to-exercise
- Workout: Something is Better than Nothing - January 18, 2017
- Five Small Fitness Goals to Tone Your Body: Davida, Fitness Pro - January 11, 2017
- Tips for the New Year and 5 Ways to Fitness! - December 27, 2016
- Tips for Fitness During the Holidays - December 15, 2016
- Ditch Sit-Ups? Davida, fitness professional - December 9, 2016
- Exercise Fun? Have You Tried Zumba Yet? - November 30, 2016
- Stretch and Build Lower Body Strength - November 23, 2016
- Sports, Alcohol & Fitness: Davida, fitness pro - November 10, 2016
- Why Would You Want to Workout in Heels? - November 3, 2016
- 5 Tips to Get Your Fitness on Track! - October 20, 2016