Apple Cider Vinegar has Surprising Health Benefits!
The Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has numerous health benefits and has a well earned reputation for being one of the most effective natural remedies for multiple ailments.
So what is apple cider vinegar?
It is made by pressing whole, fresh apples and then fermenting the liquid with yeast and good bacteria until the sugars turn to vinegar. The end product does not contain any sugar and is wonderful for your health.
Here are 7 Great Health Benefits to Apple Cider Vinegar:
1. ACV creates an alkaline body pH. Most of us have an overly acidic body pH due to eating processed foods, drinking sodas, and eating too little of the vegetables and fruits that lower our acidity. An acidic pH is an underlying factor in almost every chronic disease. This is why it is so important to balance your pH with alkalizing foods and drinks such as ACV. Even though apple cider vinegar is acidic outside the body, once metabolized, it creates an alkaline environment in the body.
2. ACV stabilizes blood sugar levels and is great for diabetics. Stabilizing blood sugar and increasing insulin sensitivity is very important in the prevention of type 2 diabetes and in the management of a current diabetic condition. Just 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar can lower your glucose levels up to 6 percent! (1)
3. ACV improves digestion, metabolism, and can help with weight loss. Drinking ACV with water before meals aids in digestion and can alleviate heart burn. It also has been shown to be effective in aiding weight loss by contributing to a feeling of satiety and speeding up metabolism. ACV also prevents the overgrowth of the yeast candida, which causes sugar cravings. (2)
4. ACV has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties, making it a great remedy for colds, sore throats, allergies, and sinus infections. I always take extra apple cider vinegar if I feel like I might be getting sick! It also stimulates the liver, aiding in detoxifying your body.
5. ACV strengthens the immune system. The old saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” can be applied to ACV even more so because it does not contain sugar, which hinders your immune system. Apple cider vinegar contains all of the wonderful health benefits apples do, with the added bonus of healthy bacteria and acetic acid.
6. ACV has been shown to support heart heath by lowering bad cholesterol (LDL), raising good cholesterol (HDL), lowering high blood pressure, and decreasing triglyceride levels, all which help lower your risk of cardiovascular disease. (3)
7. ACV is great for skin care! It is a natural sun burn relief remedy, can be used as a facial toner that won’t dry out your skin, can be used to get product build up out of your hair and to treat dandruff, is a great acne remedy, can be used to get rid of warts and fungal infections, and can be used as a natural deodorant! It also is an anti-inflammatory which means it can help with any condition caused by inflammation.
When you buy apple cider vinegar, make sure that it is ORGANIC, RAW and UNFILTERED. You should see the fibers at the bottom of the bottle. This is called “The Mother” and is full of enzymes, minerals, antioxidants, and beneficial bacteria, so make sure to shake up the bottle before using. Avoid ACV that has been distilled and pasteurized as it no longer contains these amazing health benefits. I love the brand Braggs. (4)
I add about a teaspoon of ACV to 8 ounces of water every day, three times a day! It actually helps me drink more water because it tastes great. Avoid putting it in a plastic water bottle because the vinegar can pull BPA and other toxins out from the plastic and into your drink. I also like to add it to warm water with a little honey to make a delicious “apple cider” type drink. You can also use it to make a homemade salad dressing by mixing it with olive oil.
With so many uses and great health benefits, I highly recommend drinking apple cider vinegar daily!
- Traveling? Don’t Let it Derail your Diet! - August 3, 2015
- Warm Lemon Water: How this One Easy Habit can Change Your Health! - July 27, 2015
- Why Soy Is NOT a Health Food - July 20, 2015
- How to Eat Organic on a Budget (And why it’s worth it!) - July 13, 2015
- 7 Natural Sweeteners that are Good for Your Health - July 6, 2015
- 7 Surprising Ways to Use Coconut Everyday! - June 29, 2015
- Apple Cider Vinegar has Surprising Health Benefits! - June 22, 2015
- Fruit is Great for Your Health! - June 17, 2015
- The Power of Vegetables - June 9, 2015
- Whole Organic Dairy Is Good for your Body! - June 1, 2015